Courtesy of Da Antonio
- 12 slices eggplant, 14 oz.
- 17.5 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 2.5 cups tomato sauce
- 5 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 9 basil leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 7 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation (First prepare tomato sauce)
- Wash eggplant and cut into quarter-inch pieces.
- Coat the pieces with flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs.
- Fry in olive oil until golden. Remove from pan and drain excess oil. Add salt to taste.
- Cut the mozzarella in strips, grate the Parmesan, and cool the tomato sauce.
- Combine half the tomato sauce and 7 Tbsp. of olive oil in a blender and process for one minute.
- Cut one eggplant lengthwise one-tenth-of-an inch-thick, heat the slices on both sides and cool.
- Grease a mold with a little butter, and arrange the slices along the sides.
- Add three layers of the breaded eggplant, slices of mozzarella, plain tomato sauce and Parmesan.
- Fold the ends of the eggplant slices over the top to cover.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F. for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the tomato sauce olive oil mixture and pour some in a dish.
- Top with the prepared eggplant and garnish with basil leaves.
- 2 lbs. whole peeled tomatoes
- 5 oz. diced onion
- 3.5 oz. basil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt
- Dash of sugar
- Sautée the onion in olive oil and add the tomatoes, salt and sugar.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the basil and prepare in food processor