International Folk Dance Festival Returns to Puerto Vallarta
Published Apr 23, 2014, 10:14am - (Updated May 28, 2014, 2:16pm)
For the eighth year in a row, Vallarta Azteca, a local folk dance troupe, has pulled all stops organizing a spectacular multi-day showcase of dance performances by groups representing several countries and Mexican states, April 26 - 29, throughout Puerto Vallarta and surrounding communities. All performances are free of charge.
This is the first year the festival branches out to include an international component, with folk dance companies from Bolivia, Colombia, India, Nepal and Poland performing at our destination. In addition, regional troupes from the Mexican states of Aguascalientes, Baja California, Nuevo Leon, San Luis Potosi, Tamaulipas, Chiapas, Estado de Mexico, Guanajuato, Quintana Roo and Jalisco will also perform.
The festival begins Saturday, April 26 at 6 pm with a parade that will depart Teatro Vallarta and head to Los Arcos on the Malecon. All performances at Los Arcos begin at 8 pm. Other venues begin at 7 pm. Highlights of the festival schedule include the following:
- Saturday 26 • Los Arcos (Colombia, Nuevo León, Jalisco, Baja California, India)
- Sunday 27 • Los Arcos (Estado de México, Bolivia, San Luis Potosí
- Sunday 27 • Marina Vallarta (Baja California, India, Jalisco)
- Sunday 27 • Pitillal (Poland, Colombia, Nuevo León)
- Monday 28 • Los Arcos (Chiapas)
- Monday 28 • Pitillal (Jalisco)
- Tuesday 29 • Los Arcos (Aguascalientes, Guanajuato, Poland)
- Tuesday 29 • Pitillal (Cabo Corrientes, Aguascalientes)
In addition, performances will take place at El Tuito’s main plaza nightly from Wednesday, April 30 to Sunday, May 4.
Attending these performances is highly recommended for anyone interested in learning more about Mexico's rich folk dance history, along with that of guest countries. More information about the festival can be obtained by visiting the website www.vallarta-azteca.com.