Filma13 Launches New, Free Film Screenings at Isla Rio Cuale
Published Apr 24, 2013, 1:21pm - (Updated Apr 25, 2013, 3:16pm)
Filma13, the same company that has successfully transformed Wednesday evenings at Marina Vallarta thanks to their free movie screenings at the development’s beautiful malecón, has announced a new series of similar screenings to take place on Thursday evenings at La Cuiza, in Isla Río Cuale. “The subject matter will be different,” commented Yang Leal, from Filma13. “Whereas the films screened at Marina Vallarta are chosen for their family appeal, the selections that will be featured at La Cuiza are more on the edgy side.”
Founded by local cinematographers, Filma13 has amassed a sizable film collection thanks to partnerships with a number of distribution houses. This allows them to screen the films free of charge, for cultural purposes. In addition, Filma13 goes out of their way to showcase eclectic films that fared well in film festivals and—for better or worse—have not been large commercial successes.
All screenings will take place on Thursday evenings starting at 8:30 pm. To make the events more enjoyable, La Cuiza (www.lacuiza.com) offers a small but varied choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. In addition, the management is presently making arrangements to have popcorn, snacks and light fare available for purchase. La Cuiza is located at Isla Río Cuale, directly behind Oscar’s, near the oceanfront pedestrian bridge.
Here are the films that will be screened during the months of May and June with links to their Internet Movie Database records:
- May 9 • Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan (2007) • Kzajistan • Russian with Spanish subtitles
- May 16 • Mary and Max (2009) • Australia • English with Spanish subtitles
- May 23 • Compassionate Sex (2000) • Mexico/Spain • Spanish with English subtitles
- May 30 • Once Were Warriors (1994) • New Zealand • English with Spanish subtitles
- June 6 • Choke (2008) • USA • English with Spanish subtitles
- June 13 • Memoria de mis Putas Tristes (2011) • Mexico • Spanish with English subtitles
- June 20 • Johnny Mad Dog (2008) • Liberia • French with Spanish subtitles
- June 27 • Man Facing Southeast (1986) • Argentina • Spanish with English subtitles