Mathis Lidice, 2001
This sculpture honors the arrival of the third millennium and is located at the north end of the Malecón where 31 October Street ends at the beach, significant because this was where ships traditionally unloaded supplies for mountain towns 30 to 50 miles to the east and the mines near them, and then loaded silver and gold from those mines. Millennium was inaugurated on October 31 because this was the date in 1886 when the settlement that would eventually become Puerto Vallarta
was officially recognized as a community by the State of Jalisco, although it was then named Las Peñas.
A more detailed description of this sculpture can be found in Vallarta Lifestyles’ Definitive Guide to Malecón Sculptures, a digital-only special publication.